Navigation

Thursday 7 April 2011

Page Title element and PerformancePoint Report always being blank

This was one I came across recently while doing some custom branding work on a SharePoint 2010 site which was using Performance Point Services, and specifically the PerformancePoint Report Web Part.

I had a simple branded master page (which was a copy of the normal v4.master) but could not for the life of me get PerformancePoint reports to work.

The Report Web Part was blank (with zero height) and there was a JavaScript error on the page:
Unterminated string constant
Code: 0
Well .. I rolled my site back to the v4.master and it was working again. I copy-pasted the v4.master <head> contents into my custom master page and it started working again .. although when I double checked the contents they were IDENTICAL.

So far this was very very weird .. and the actual solution is even weirder.

It seems it was to do with my <title> element in the <head> tags being broken onto separate lines:
BAD
<title>
   <asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderPageTitle" runat="server" />
</title>
GOOD
<title><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderPageTitle" runat="server" /></title>
Why?? I have no idea .. but making this simple change solved the problem.
Bizarre eh?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,

    Good session on sandbox solutions, I refered to you blog in a post about last nights session

    http://blog.sharepointsite.co.uk/2011/05/suguk-southampton-meet.html

    paul beck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, this seemed to alleviate an issue we had where SharePoint 2010 wiki pages would lose the title attribute in the browser tab while the page was in edit mode. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the hell!!

    Cheers for the fix I reckon i could have wasted alot of time on this little gem.

    ReplyDelete

This blog has been moved to www.martinhatch.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.