Navigation

Wednesday 10 October 2012

That is one smashed phone ..

Well, it was bound to happen eventually as I use my smartphones every single day and this is the first one I've managed to spectacularly break after about 6 years of using them.

I went and dropped my Nokia Lumia 800 from about 4 feet onto a wooden floor and the screen (well .. the gorilla glass covering it) has smashed and now spiderweb cracks covers roughly 1/4 of the screen.

Ironically this only happened when I took the rubber "condom" (protective covering which goes over the phone) off because I thought it might be interfering with my signal (it wasn't!). The normal covering on this device is quite shiny and doesn't give you much traction, which led to the phone slipping out of my hand.

Quite impressive is that the touchscreen still works fine, in fact apart from making it difficult to read in a few places it hasn't really affected the functional at all.. There is one thing though which is that the proximity sensor (which detects when you are holding the phone to your ear and turns the screen off during calls) can't see through the cracks at the top of the phone. This means that during a call the screen won't activate and therefore I can't do trivial tasks like .. hang up, or activate the speaker, or use the keypad!

Luckily I've found a local repair shop who will do a replacement screen and glass for £100 with a 24 hour turnaround, so I am dropping it off tomorrow and hopefully will have it back Friday.

For those of you who want to laugh at my clumsiness, a photo of my phone is below :)

Yep .. that's a smashed screen alright!


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog has been moved to www.martinhatch.com

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.